I have bought an excessive amount of mascara in the past few years. It's not that I do not already have favorites, but for some reason Mascara is the one thing I don't mind changing up every now-and-again. My face products I tend to stick to once I find a favorite. When I am in Ulta or Sephora, it's a guarantee I come out with at least one mascara.
I've made a spectrumed list of my top mascaras all the way down to the ones I hated, and even made notes of ones that I would have loved if it weren't for an ingredient, a packaging flaw, or if something were a little different. I won't detail every single mascara, just the ones that deserve a real explanation! So here's the ones that made the cut:
These are the go-tos that I have purchased multiple times and will no-doubt purchase again.
1. Bad Gal Lash by Benefit- I love everything about this mascara. It is soft and clean. I have no issues with flaking and it makes my eyelashes look steller. The brush is plump and full, yet always catches my lashes from base to tip!
2. Volum Express Turbo by Maybelline
3. Great Lash by Maybelline- I don't think this really needs explanation but. . . Great Lash has been a favorite of many women for years due to its simplicity, consistent and never-changing packaging, and it's ability to always be available. Great Lash has been on the market for over 40 years now and with good reason!
4. Kat Von D's Sin-Full Lash
5. Grow Lucious by Revlon- This is a surprise favorite. I purchased this mascara when I had an accident with the mascara I was carrying in my purse bursting! I needed a new one and quick since I was on my way to work without any mascara on yet that day. I picked this one out on a whim, and I've been loving it ever since! My lashes always look great and natural with this on, and never lacking in volume!
6. Make Up For Ever's Smokey Lash
These mascaras are great! I have not purchased any of these multiple times, but I would highly recommend these!
7. Falsies by Maybelline
8. XXL Extensions by Maybelline- One of the best double-wanded mascaras I have tried to date. The primer side does not leave my lashes feeling "furry" or as though they'd shed. It goes on smooth without piling up and feeling sticky.
9. Double Extend by Loreal
10. Full 'N' Soft by Maybelline- Simple. Soft.
11. Diorshow Mascara by Dior- A creamy finish that's not too wet or sticky. Smooth, simple, and sleek. This mascara gives my lashes just the right amount of drama without being overkill. Plus a classic packaging that is recognizable.
*Almost* made the cut:
These two probably would have been a sold favorite of mine except they both irritated my eyes. If the price was lower, I might give them a second try, but let's not risk it at $15+ per tube!
12. Big Fatty Mascara by Urban Decay- Love the brush on this and really loved the way my lashes looked. They turned out super full and fluffy!
13. They're Real! by Benefit- This hurt my feelings that it burned my eyes so bad! My lashes looked awesome but what good is that when your eyes won't stop watering?
The following have nothing special that I found about them. They work, do their job, but do not sell me. I probably won't by any of these again, and they wouldn't be on my most recommended list.
14. Mega Volume-Mega Plush by Maybelline
15. One by One by Maybelline
16. Lash Stiletto by Maybelline
17. Voluminous Million Lashes by Loreal
18. Skyscraper by Urban Decay
19. Ginormous Lash by Hard Candy
This is probably the section most people look for whether it's to argue against me, try it out for themselves, or just take advice and purchase something else. I'm sure there's people out there that might LOVE these products, but I did not. Feel free to comment with your opinion! I would also love to hear recommendations and tips for some of the complaints we might have!
20. Revlon Photo Ready- I did not like the brush on this. The formula was alright, but the application felt like pins and needles going on! The brush is extra prickly and stubborn.
21. Size Queen by Too Faced- I was enchanted by the brush and had to just try it. The same reason I bought it ended up being the same reason I hated it. It's unusable. I made a mess out of myself trying to use the brush and found this to be completely impossible for bottom lashes. I would love tips if anyone has been able to use this functionally!
22. Scandal Eyes by Rimmel- This product I found to be far too dry. The packaging is hefty and fit uncomfortably in my everyday makeup bag.
23. Volume Accelerator by Rimmel- The brush in this mascara was very oddly shaped and caused poor application. It is a tapered brush that is far too rounded and large at the base of the brush. If the brush had been about half the width, it would have been much easier to use. The formula of this product I found to be too goopy and messy.
24. Fairydrops Scandal Queen Mascara- I liked this mascara for a little while and found that the product dried out incredibly fast. The curved brush, with graduated waves gave full lashes with length however after about five uses, I found that the product had dried and when applied, it became flaky.
25. Lorac Visual Effects- I love the brush on this and hate the product. Such a disappointment. The brush makes for perfect application however the formula clumps insanely bad and if you don't wait for a minute with your eyes closed, it gets everywhere as it is an insanely wet formula. This product might work well as a going-out look, however, is not a good choice for everyday wear.
26. No.7 Extravagant Lashes- This smells bad, looks bad, applies awful, and the packaging is ugly.
27. False Fiber Loreal- I have a huge hesitance when buying anything with the words "fiber" in the title. For a while, it was a paranoia that the product would be flaky, fuzzy, or inconvenient to use. Now I've found that fear was not unfounded. This mascara made my lashes feel like spiderwebs. I kept feeling like I had strays hanging in my eyes- it was irritating and did not make up for itself with looks.
So what are you favorites? What mascaras do you hate? Which ones of mine do you want to try?